Here’s a little idea I came up with the other day thanks to an over saturation of looking at bikinis (take a look at this summers trend post here.) I have recently been very much enamoured with this One Teaspoon bikini, which inspired me to play around with the back of your basic string bikini to see what you can do that is a little more original than just tieing bows, which always at risk of being pulled at by friends and children. I’ve been there, it’s not the best experience, but then I just posed half-naked in the woods with this bikini on. My mother-in-law was like “you did what?!” “there are perverts in those woods!” Well lucky for me there was just a woman and her dog, she sat and watched.
There are quite a few steps to this little DIY, but seriously don’t be deterred, it’s easy peasy, and it just needs a few stitches here and there. Of course you could also do it with a sewing machine to make your life easier if you want!
How to make the DIY bikini
1. You will need : A string bikini, a bikini clasp, pins, a needle and thread, and scissors.
2. Fold the bottom straps back towards the triangles as seen in the photo. Pin and stitch to the triangles on each side.
3. Attach the clasp. I looped mine through, it depends on the clasp!
4. Work out exactly where you want to attach the neck straps, and test if it works for you. I crossed mine over so I still had the original support from the bikini and to keep the triangles cups in shape at the front.
5. Sew the straps together.
6. Now onto the bikini bottoms. Cut the straps off the back half of the bikini.
7. Pin the front strap to the back and the left-over strap 1-2 cm below on the bottom & sew them together.
8. Cut off any excess straps and you’re done!
It would look great with any print or colour, plus it’s an original little spin that will look great on the beach!